Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hot Fries at the Grocery Store


hot fries at the grocery store
toe socks at Walmart
a coin purse in the shape of a sock at the dollar store
name brand clothes at the thrift store

           everywhere I go, I see "you."

"cool!"  "coolie"
or even:  "cool beans!"
"hey, buddy"
"I know, right?"
"have a good day!  make good choices!"
(how ironic is that...)

         and I hear "you."

Sometimes when I see a little blonde head, I think I see you. Then I remember you aren't blonde any more. In fact, I don't know what color your hair is now.

The last time I saw you, your hair was black.
The last time I heard you say anything, it was "bye."
Not even "good-bye, Mom" just "bye."

And now you are gone, six hours away...six hours--and a million miles--from us...


And the ashes pile up...